Clark Hill Thorp Reed lawyers exemplify the firm’s commitment to hard work, high ethical standards and dedication to client service. Our attorneys practice in diverse areas of law, and combine a multidisciplinary approach to solving legal problems. The bottom line: Clients of Clark Hill Thorp Reed benefit from attorneys whose expertise and commitment deliver effective client outcomes and superior legal service.
J. Alexander Hershey
J. Alexander Hershey is a member of the Commercial and Corporate Litigation practice group. He concentrates his practice in areas of litigation involving unfair competition and business torts, trademark and copyright infringement, trade secret and employment law, health care and managed care law, antitrust issues, RICO claims, securities fraud, and related commercial disputes. Alex also assists clients in the registration of trademarks and copyrights and counsels clients regarding intellectual property and antitrust issues in business disputes and transactions. Alex has experience practicing before numerous state and federal courts and before the United States Patent & Trademark Office.
- J.D., George Washington University Law School, 1999
Notes Editor, The George Washington Law Review
- B.A., Politics and Philosophy, Oberlin College, 1994
Highest Honors in Politics for Thesis and for Written and Oral Honors Examinations
Professional / Civic Activities
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyer Rising Star, 2012, 2011 and 2006
- Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council
- Volunteer Attorney, HELP Program (Homeless Legal Protection)
- Advisory Committee, Young Preservationists Association of Pittsburgh
- Member, Pittsburgh Regional Alliance Champions Program
Bar / Court Admissions
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Allegheny County Bar Association
Publications / Presentations
- “Affordable Care Act’s Medical Loss Ratio Provision: Is There A Private Right Of Action?” Communiqué, November 2012.
- “Health Plans’ Commercial Uncertainties Persist After Supreme Court’s Decision Upholding the Affordable Care Act’s Constitutionality,” Communiqué, August 2012.
- Presenter, "Trade Secret Theft Is More Common Than You Think: What a Business Needs To Do To Protect Itself," TRA Seminar, March 2012.
- "The Real Dollars At Stake: Don’t Overlook The Value Of Protecting Your Copyrightable Materials," Communiqué, May 2011.
- "E-Commerce: Legal and Practical Issues," Pennsylvania Bar Institute Seminar, December 2010
- “The Dangers of Being a Team Player: Joint Ventures and the Risk of Antitrust Liability,” Communiqué, May 2010.
- Presenter, Mock Preliminary Injunction Hearing, 25th Annual ABA Intellectual Property Law Conference, April 10, 2010.
- Presenter, "Mitigating Legal Risk in a Recovering Economy," Financial Executives Institute, Pittsburgh Chapter Meeting, Technical Session, April 8, 2010.
- Author, “The Common Law and Secondary Liability: Issues of Culpability and Procedure in Trademark and Copyright Litigation,” ABA Intellectual Property Litigation Committee Newsletter, Vol. 21, No. 2, Winter 2010.
- Presenter, “The Fundamentals for Protecting Your Competitive Edge: Using Intellectual Property Law To Protect Your Company’s Assets And Fend Off Your Competition,” TRA Seminar, March 2010.
- “Third Circuit Decision Provides Guidance as to Protectability and Survey Evidence in Trademark Litigation,” Communiqué, September 2008.
- Moderator, Local Rule 56.1 - The Judges Speak Out, The Federal Court Section Council of the Allegheny County Bar Association, April 24, 2008.
- "A Victory for Antitrust Plaintiffs: The Third Circuit Issues a Decision Limiting the Plaintiff’s Burden in Robinson-Patman Act Claims," Communique, October 2007.
- "Are Your Secrets Confidential, and Will a Court Agree?" In Your Court, November 2005.
- "Supreme Court: Proof of Absence of Confusion is Not Good Faith Defense to Trademark Infringement," In Your Court, March 2005.
- “What’s New In Pennsylvania: The Pennsylvania Supreme Court Creates An Open Season On Architects And Other Design Professionals,” Construction Law News, March 2005.
- “Full and Accurate Disclosure: Protecting the Rights of Businesses to Commercial Information,” In Your Court, March 2005.
- "The Pennsylvania Supreme Court Partially Solidifies the Claim of Negligent Misrepresentation Under Pennsylvania Law,” Communiqué, March 2005.
- "Privilege or Justification: The Ever-Expanding Policy Prong of Tortious Interference With Contract," Business Torts Journal, Fall 2004.
- "Broad Reality, Narrow Words," 67 George Washington Law Review 432, 1999.