Clark Hill Thorp Reed lawyers exemplify the firm’s commitment to hard work, high ethical standards and dedication to client service. Our attorneys practice in diverse areas of law, and combine a multidisciplinary approach to solving legal problems. The bottom line: Clients of Clark Hill Thorp Reed benefit from attorneys whose expertise and commitment deliver effective client outcomes and superior legal service.
William M. Wycoff
William M. Wycoff has tried a variety of cases over 35 years. He focuses his practice on corporate, contract, securities and class action litigation, and most of his work has been defense-oriented. In 1989, two of his cases were among the top 25 verdicts in the U.S. - one was an antitrust case, and the other was negligence on behalf of a quadriplegic. Recently, Bill's cases have involved corporate governance, as well as shareholder derivative and securities claims. He also recently has tried a number of insurance coverage cases and has defended law firms in professional negligence cases.
In recent years, Bill has been called upon to serve as an arbitrator or mediator, primarily in commercial litigation disputes. He has been involved in over 30 matters including contract disputes, insurance coverage matters, securities matters, and construction contracts.
Bill has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America for ten years in the categories of both Business and Personal Injury Litigation. In 2006 he was named one of only five Pittsburgh lawyers in the new “Bet the Company” listing. He was also selected by the National Law Journal as one of the top ten Commercial Litigators in Pennsylvania. For several years, most recently in 2011, Bill has been named a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer, an honor bestowed upon the top five percent of Pennsylvania lawyers. In 2005 and 2006, Bill was named one of Pennsylvania’s Top 100 Super Lawyers and one of Pittsburgh’s Top 50 Super Lawyers. He is a Fellow in and the State Chair of the American College of Trial Lawyers.
In their directory, Chambers & Partners USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business said that Bill has “garnered respect for his record of success,” as well as for his “dynamic style” in the courtroom. He has been recognized in Chambers in each of the years of its publication.
- J.D., Northwestern University School of Law
- B.A., Government, Cornell University
Professional / Civic Activities
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Former Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Member, Allegheny County Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Arbitrator, Early Neutral Evaluator and Mediator, Western District of Pennsylvania
- Board of Directors, The Children’s Home of Pittsburgh and Past President
- Board of Trustees and past President of Pressley Ridge
- Immediate Past President and Board Member, Pressley Ridge Foundation
- Past President, Board of the Pittsburgh Dance Council
- Past President, Board of the Pittsburgh Golf Club
Bar / Court Admissions
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Member, Allegheny County Bar Association
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
Publications / Presentations
- Speaker, "The Best of Legal Technology” (T-BOLT) seminar, November 2008.
- Course Planner and Lecturer, PBI program "Damages in Commercial Litigation," 1997, 2003 and 2005.
- "Recovery of Lost Profit Damages Under Pennsylvania Law," 2003.
- "Daubert and Expert Economist Testimony," 2003.
- "Audit Committee Duties and Liabilities in the Post Enron World," presented at the PBI course "Accounting Litigation after Enron," 2002.
- Course Planner and Moderator, PBI Medical Malpractice Program, 2001.
- Course Planner and Author, PBI Confidentiality in Civil Litigation course, 1997.
- Course Planner and Author, PBI Civil RICO programs, 1985, 1988, 1990 and 1993.
- Course Planner and Author, PBI Product Liability programs, 1985, 1988 and 1991